Now we will explore deeper connections between the planets and how they interact with each other through aspect and association. There word “yoga” means to join. When planets interact they join forces with each other and also join us to their forces in interesting and subtle ways.
Aspects and yogas are important part of understanding the variations of color and nuance that planets bring astrologically.
Evaluation of Drishtis of Grahas
● 1. O Glorious, it is said, that Drishtis (of Grahas) and their strengths are to be known in deciding the effects. How many kinds are these? Please clarify doubts.
● 2-5. Drishtis of the Grahas. O Brahmin, I have earlier stated Drishtis, based on Rashis. The other kind is between Grahas, which I detail below. 3rd and 10th, 5th and 9th, 4th and 8th and lastly 7th. On these places the Drishtis increase gradually in slabs of quarters, i.e 1, 1, 3 and full. The effects will also be proportionate. All Grahas give a Drishti to the 7th fully. Śani, Guru and Mangal have special Drishtis, respectively, on the 3rd and the 10th, the 5th and the 9th and the 4th and the 8th. The ancient preceptors have explained these, which ordinary. By subtle mathematical calculations these Drishtis will have to be clearly understood, as under.
Here we see the aspects of each planet laid out. All planets aspect fully to the seventh house.
Saturn aspects the 3rd and 10th houses forward
Jupiter aspects the 5th and 9th houses forward
Mars aspects the 4th and 8th houses forward
There are sutras that explains how to calculate each aspect with precision. These planetary aspects are measured in Virupas. We are not going to go over how to do these specific calculations, but it is important to pay close attention to the aspectual values When reading planetary aspects.
A planet at 1° Gemini and a planet at 29° Sagittarius will be an aspect to each other, but the ore will be very wide. A planet at 29° Scorpio will be in a more direct aspect with a planet at 1°
KALA Software (the recommended software of this course) calculates the ratio of strength automatically for you.
The Sanskrit word for aspect is “drishti”, which means “look” or “glance”. Essentially, the planets have a certain vision and through that vision their influence gets spread. Once the exact degree of orb starts to move, the vision and influence becomes less.
It is for this reason I do not consider Rahu and Ketu to have a planetary aspect. Common sense would let us know this. The nodes are not beings that reflect light, like the other planets. They are energy fields, shadows that move and make their appearance once they contact the luminaries. The concept of a shadow having a glance is dubious. In order to see, there must be light and they do not emit light. Besides, there is no mention of Rahu and Ketu Having planetary aspects in this chapter. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere. However, many Vedic astrologers assign Rahu and Ketu the same aspects as Jupiter – a 5th and 9th house aspect. We will not do this in these classes.
Yoga Karaka Chapter
● v.11-12. Lordships of Kendras and Konas. If there be an exchange between a Lord of a Kendr and a Lord of a Kon, or, if a Lord of a Kendr is yuti with a Lord of a Kon in a Kendr, or in a Kon, or, if a Lord of a Kon is in a Kendr, or vice versa, or, if there happens to be a full Drishti between a Lord of a Kendr and a Lord of a Kon, they cause a Yog. One born in such a Yog will become a king and be famous.
When an angle ruler and a trinal house ruler join or exchange in an angle or a trinal house, a powerful yoga is formed. It is also mentioned that if a angle and a trinal house ruler aspect each other, A Raja yoga will be formed. (The Raja Yoga Is the most powerful kind of yoga) This should alert you to always be looking at planets exchanging with each other. Also, you must always have in mind which houses the planets rule to see if they form yogas or not.
● V. 11-12 (cont.) If one and the same Grah gets the lordships of a Kon, as well as a Kendr, or, if a Grah is in a Kendr, or in a Kon, it will prove specially a Yog Karak.
The planet that owns both angle and a trinal house by itself creates a Raja Yoga. When this occurs that planet becomes in some ways more important than the lagna Lord.
Mars for Cancer and Leo
Saturn for Libra and Taurus
Venus for Aquarius and Capricorn
All form Raja yogas by themselves.
● 16. Rahu and Ketu. Rahu and Ketu give predominantly the effects, as due to their yuti with a Bhava Lord, or, as due to the Bhava they occupy.
Rahu and Ketu give the effects of the planet they’re joined as a house ruler (and also as a planet). If they’re not joined a planet, they Modify the house they occupy (and also of course, the sign). The significance of this Sutra is It outlines the nature of Rahu as a benefic or malefic House Ruler in each chart, the theme of this chapter.
● 17. If Rahu and/or Ketu are in Kendr, receiving a Drishti from, or in association with the Lord of a Kon, or of a Kendr, it will become Yog Karak.
Rahu or Ketu in an angle joined a trinal lord or vice versa forms a Raja yoga – it becomes a Yoga Karaka.
● 1-2. Benefic and Malefic Yogas. If there be a benefic in Lagn, Subh Yog is produced, while a malefic in Lagn causes Asubh Yog.
Benefic in Lagna is auspicious – a malefic in the lagna is inauspicious. Of course, this should be balanced with moderation. A malefic who is ruling the lagna will be in good dignity, and therefore offer a clear identity. Yet, the ascendant as related to our health and our general course through life will not be assisted by a malefic.
The same type of discrimination should be seen by the benefic. As the ruler of a cruel house, etc. those things could be seen. But in general, there is support within a benefic in the lagna.
● (1-2 continued) Benefics in both Vyaya (12th house) and Dhan Bhava (2nd house) cause Subh Yog. Malefics in both Vyaya and Dhan Bhava cause Asubh Yog. One born in Subh Yog will be eloquent, charming and virtuous, while his counterpart will be sensuous, will do sinful acts and will enjoy (swallow) others’ wealth.
The principle of hemming is shown here. Notice he is talking about the second and 12 houses within benefics of malefics surrounding the lagna. For the benefic he says “eloquent, charming and virtuous”. “Eloquence” could be contributed to the second house, charming the first house, virtuous shows protection from evil acts (which could come to the 12th). The he continues “while his counterpart will be sensuous, will do sinful acts and will enjoy (swallow) others’ wealth.” We can see “sensuous” as a measure of harming the lagna, “sinful acts” as a measure of the 12th house, “enjoy (swallow) others’ wealth.” The result of a malefic in the second.
● 3-4. Gaj Kesari Yog. Should Guru be in a Kendr (angle) from Lagn, or from Candr (Moon) and be yuti (joined) with, or receiving a Drishti (aspect) from benefic, avoiding at the same time debilitation, combustion and inimical Rashi, Gaj Kesari Yog is caused. One born in Gaj Kesari Yog will be splendourous, wealthy, intelligent, endowed with many laudable virtues and will please the king.
This Sutra shows how important Jupiter is in relationship to the moon. Of all the benefics, Jupiter is definitely the greatest. There is no yoga comparing Venus or Mercury to the moon in this way. Jupiter in an angle from the moon (including conjunction) without being debilitated, combust or an enemy Rashi dignity. This part is important. If Jupiter is hammered, do not expect great results from this Gaja Kesari Yoga.
● 5-6. Amal Yog. If there be exclusively a benefic in the 10th from Lagn, or Candr, Amal Yog exists. Amal Yog will confer fame, lasting till Candr and stars exist and will make the native honoured by the king, enjoy abundant pleasures, charitable, fond of relatives, helpful to others, pious and virtuous.
This is another simple, yet important yoga. A benefic in the 10th from the lagna or the moon, if nothing else in between. Of course, the better the dignity of the planets the better. And, it must be exclusively a benefic, no mixtures.
● 27-28. Lakshmi Yog. If Dharm’s (9th huose) Lord is in a Kendr (angle) identical with his Mooltrikon Rashi, or own Rashi, or in exaltation, while Lagn’s Lord is endowed with strength, Lakshmi Yog occurs. The native with Lakshmi Yog will be charming, virtuous, kingly in status, endowed with many sons and abundant wealth. He will be famous and of high moral merits.
This yoga shows the importance of the ninth house ruler. The ninth house ruler in its own sign, Mulatrikona sign or exaltation, with the lagna Lord strong will confer this Lakshmi yoga. Some people have extended this yoga to include Venus. I do not however.
Raja Yogas Chapter
● 6-9. Maha Raj Yog. Should Lagn’s Lord and Putr’s Lord exchange their Rashis, or, if Atma Karak and Putr Karak (Char) are in Lagn, or in Putr Bhava, or in the exaltation Rashi, or in own Rashi, or in own Navāńś, receiving a Drishti from a benefic, Maha Raj Yog is produced. The native so born will be famous and happy. If Lagn’s Lord and Atma Karak are in Tanu (lagna) , Putr (5th house) , or Yuvati Bhava (7th house) , yuti with, or receiving a Drishti from a benefic, a Raj Yog is formed. One will be related to royal circles, if Śukr is the Karakāńś (Ascendant in the varga), or in the 5th there from, or in Lagn, or in Arudh Lagn, receiving a Drishti from, or yuti (union) with Guru, or Candr.
We Will consider these yoga is in future classes. They begin talking about more esoteric techniques related to using the Atma Karaka (Soul indicator) and the other Karakas as well as other lagnas – Arudha lagna and bhava padas.
Read more about Astrology Signs, Planets and Dasas
Category: Vedic Astrology